Chemical Mine World Co.
TEL: +98 21 33128396
FAX: +98 21 33127708
MOBILE: +98 912 5224843
Bentonite in Iran has been mined for many years. Bentonite is a soft clay substance that belongs to the clay minerals group formed from chemical weathering of volcanic materials such as tuff or glass, volcanic ash, other igneous rocks, or from rocks of sedimentary origin. This group is complex and consist of several mineral commodities, each having somewhat different mineralogy, geological occurrences, technology and uses. They are all natural, earthy, fine-grained minerals of secondary origin and composed of an alumina silicate structure with additional iron, alkalis and alkaline earth elements.
Iran Bentonite is color ranges from white to light olive green, cream, yellow, earthy red, brown and sometimes sky blue when fresh but yellowing rapidly with exposure to air. When wet it is highly plastic and slippery. Bentonite feels and appears greasy or waxy.
There are two basic types of Bentonite in Iran, depending on whether they contain sodium or calcium in the crystal lattice.
1. swelling bentonite - sodium bentonite contains sodium in the platy molecular structure; has strong swelling properties (ability to swell to many times its dry volume when wet)
2. non-swelling bentonites - calcium bentonite contains calcium in its structure; has a far lower capacity to swell when wet and usually exhibits greater adsorptive characteristics.
. Uses of Iran Bentonite
Iran swelling bentonite has many uses, due to its high plasticity and gelling property, its ability to take on large quantities of water and its capacity to swell to many times its dry volume. The applications for swelling bentonite include:
pelletizing and binding agent for iron ore prior to smelting
· binder and digestive aid in animal feed
· sealing agent for reservoirs, lagoons and other engineering projects
· plasticizer in ceramic clay bodies
· binder of foundry sand
· carrier of insecticide and pesticide
· agent in water and effluent purification
The use as a binder in foundry molds is still considered a major application for which the swelling variety is preferred, although non-swelling bentonite is used for some foundry purposes.
Some non-swelling bentonites, depending on their chemistry and molecular structure, can be altered by acid leaching to render them useful as catalysts for petroleum cracking.
· Iran Bentonite Synonyms:
Sodium montmorillonite, calcium montmorillonite, saponite, montmorillonite (Na), montmorillonite (Ca), bentonite, taylorite, fuller's earth, wyoming sodium bentonite, hectorite, hormite clay bentonite magma, southern bentonite, tixoton, volclay, volclay bentonite BC, wilkinite
· Iran Bentonite Designations:
Chemical Formula: Al2O34SiO2H2O
Chemical Name: Naturally occurring hydrated aluminum silicate
· Physical Properties Iran Bentonite Available:
Numerous particle size options are available in the lower micron area from a mean particle size of 2.5 to 4.0 microns.
· Packaging Iran Bentonite:
Jars, pails, drums, multiply paper bags, bulk bags and fiberboard containers
Need more information?Click here to contact us!